Looking to take your RYA VHF Exam in London?
You’ll need to complete training first – check out our Online VHF Training Course
Already completed training?
You can attend an SRC exam once you meet the prerequisites.
You can book with us even if you have completed your training elsewhere – you’ll just need to provide us with details of the RYA training centre that you completed training with, so that we can obtain the necessary paperwork in advance of your exam session.
Where are we?
SRC Exams are held at South Bank Sailing Club, located on Putney Embankment on the River Thames in Central London.
For group bookings, exams can be arranged at a venue of your choice – contact us for more info.
Once you have booked an exam session with us, you’ll need to pay your RYA certification fees (£60.00) to the RYA in advance of attending – click here to launch the RYA Exam Payments Service. Please note that if you attend your exam session but have not paid for your RYA fees then you will not be able to take the exam.
All of our exam sessions include a minimum of 30-minutes of equipment familiarisation, as well as complimentary refreshments.
Candidates for the RYA VHF Exam must:
- Be aged 16 years or older, and
- present one of the following eligibility documents:
- Evidence of completing an RYA VHF SRC training course online, or
- Evidence of attending a VHF SRC classroom course at an RYA Recognised Training Centre, or
- an RYA Restricted VHF certificate, or
- a suitable aviation GMDSS radio operator’s certificate
The RYA VHF Exam is comprised of a written paper and practical assessment
Written paper consisting of two sections, with some multiple choice answers and some longer written questions, and must be completed within 30 minutes.
Practical assessment undertaken in groups of up to 4 candidates per exam, covering any topics from the VHF syllabus, such as:
- Routine VHF voice transmissions (using appropriate channel and power selection)
- Adjusting squelch, volume, channel selection, and basic radio operations
- Sending VHF Distress DSC alerts
- Distress VHF Voice transmissions
- Sending VHF Routine DSC announcements
What do I need to bring?
On the day of your exam, you’ll need to bring with you:
- Photo ID (Passport, Driving licence etc.)
- A passport sized photograph
- Proof of eligibility
- RYA Certification receipt
Please read our terms and conditions carefully before booking your exam.