RYA VHF Exam
£107.50 inc. VAT
Our exam session prices are inclusive of RYA Examination and Certification fees*
Please choose your exam session date from the list below, and add to basket to reserve your exam session.
No availability on your preferred date? Contact us
Looking to take your RYA VHF Exam in London?
Already completed training?
You can attend an SRC exam once you meet the prerequisites.
You can book with us even if you have completed your training elsewhere – you’ll just need to provide us with details of the RYA training centre that you completed training with, so that we can obtain the necessary paperwork in advance of your exam session.
We hold VHF SRC exams at our training centre in Chiswick, at the Chiswick Pier Trust buildings on Corney Reach Way, London W4 2UG. Please ensure you allow ample time to arrive prior to the beginning of your exam session, as regrettably we cannot admit candidates who arrive late.
For group bookings (4+), we are happy to arrange an exam visit to a venue of your choice – please contact us to discuss pricing and availability.
Our exam prices include all RYA exam and certification fees, including postage. *Additional fees apply for candidates who wish to fast-track their certificate application – please check the RYA website for the latest fast-track scheme guidance and certification processing times.
All of our exam sessions include a minimum of 30-minutes of equipment familiarisation, as well as complimentary refreshments.
Candidates for the RYA VHF Exam must:
- Be aged 16 years or older, and
- Present one of the following eligibility documents:
- Evidence of completing an RYA VHF SRC training course online, or
- Evidence of attending a VHF SRC classroom course at an RYA Recognised Training Centre, or
- an RYA Restricted VHF certificate, or
- a suitable aviation GMDSS radio operator’s certificate
The RYA VHF Exam is comprised of a written paper and practical assessment
Written paper consisting of two sections, with some multiple choice answers and some longer written questions, and must be completed within 30 minutes.
Practical assessment undertaken in groups of up to 4 candidates per exam, covering any topics from the VHF syllabus, such as:
- Routine VHF voice transmissions (using appropriate channel and power selection)
- Adjusting squelch, volume, channel selection, and basic radio operations
- Sending VHF Distress DSC alerts
- Distress VHF Voice transmissions
- Sending VHF Routine DSC announcements
What do I need to bring?
On the day of your exam, you’ll need to bring with you:
- Photo ID (Passport, Driving licence etc.)
- A passport sized photograph
- Proof of eligibility (course attendance certificate or online course pre-exam knowledge check reference code)
Please read our terms and conditions carefully before booking your exam.
How to book an SRC exam?
Use the form below to select available dates from the dropdown menu:
No availability on your preferred dates?
1.5-2 hours, comprising: